Purpose: Provide students an opportunity to discuss the impact of spreading the warmth of caring to others in the world.
- Students will discuss a quote on caring
- Students will share their thoughts about how the quote can apply to their lives
- Students will create a list of ways to kindle the fires of caring in their school, home, and community
- Quotation: “If the world seems cold to you, kindle fires to warm it.” Lucy Larcom (1826-1893), American poet
- Grade 6: What does this quote mean?
- Grade 7: What are some ways you can make the world a warmer place to live?
- Grade 8: What is this quote saying about how we care for others?
- Whole group
- Brainstorm a list of ways you can “kindle fires” of caring in your class, home, and community.
- Ask each student to choose at least one item off the list and go kindle fires of caring.
- Report back in a week to discuss ways they saw the warmth of caring spreading throughout the school, home, and community.
- Writing Prompts
- What are some ways you were able to “kindle fires” of caring in your class, home, or community?
- What are some changes you made in yourself to make the world a bit warmer this week?
- How would the world be impacted if there were more people spreading the warmth of care and kindness?
Need more lessons like this? Check out Today Counts from our online store.