Purpose: Provide students an opportunity to discuss problems faced by their community and how engaged citizens can support these areas of concern.
- Students will discuss an issue in the school or community
- Students will research citizen groups or community organizations that can support the issues
- Students will write a poem, ad campaign, or perform a skit to highlight a concern in the community that could use support from citizens
Discussion: Discuss issues the community faces that negatively affect citizens
- Some ideas might include:
- Drug abuse
- Brainstorm a list of ways citizens your age can help problem solve these concerns
- Have students either author a poem, write an ad campaign, or produce a skit to highlight the concern and a solution they think will help
- Share the finished products to the class
- Extension- Encourage students to create products that can be recorded or shared through social media in the community to spur citizens to get more involved.
Need more lessons like this? Check out Today Counts in our online store.