CHARACTER COUNTS! 6.0
Student Development Framework:
The Four Wheels of Success
CHARACTER COUNTS!® 6.0 is an overarching framework designed to work in conjunction with rather than supplant other academic support, pro-school climate, anti-bullying and behavior modification programs including PBIS. Properly implemented, CHARACTER COUNTS!® is braided with other programs to produce meaningful, measurable and sustainable outcomes in four domains:
Click on the wheel for more information.
12 CORE VALUES & SKILLS. CHARACTER COUNTS! 6.0 incorporates the newest research-based state of the art strategies for positive climate change and introduces new tools and techniques designed to infuse core values and skills into the DNA of your school or organization: The Six Pillars of Character (Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship) and 21st century school and career Success Skills (Learning, Self-Discipline, Positivity, Perseverance, Resilience and Diligence).
BASELINE DATA AND IMPACT ASSESSMENTS. To measure impact and identify best practices, CHARACTER COUNTS! administers pre and post school climate, beliefs and behavior surveys to students, teachers and parents. In addition to providing information to measure success, these surveys engage all segments of the school community and win their support; they allow each school to assess concerns and determine school-specific objectives.
COMPONENTS OF A COMPREHENSIVE CC! IMPLEMENTATION
1. Certificated Training – 3-day certification training on how to effectively implement CC! based on the Four Wheels of Success focusing on strengthening a positive school climate and building academic, social, emotional and character skills and traits.
2. Baseline Assessments – Online survey to establish a baseline of attitudes and behaviors to allow measurement of impact and to determine values, concerns and priorities of students, teachers and parents and opinions on the current culture of school, level of parent engagement and student performance. (These assessments are included in basic training programs but may be purchased separately).
3. Integrated Curricula Resources – Schools implementing CC! have a choice of employing a wide range of print and media resources that permit teachers to seamlessly integrate values and skill-building strategies including the Way to Go journal, Today Counts! lesson plans, the CC! Agenda/Planner, the Good Ideas Book (more than 100 value-focused lesson plans and a variety of Music and Video resources).
4. Awareness Support Materials and Products – CC! provides a substantial variety of engaging, high impact awareness support materials including Customized Banners, Posters, Street Signs, and Student Incentives.
5. Professional Development and Parent Workshops – CC! supplements its fully integrated program with on-site professional development and parent workshops on issues such as bullying, program integration, classroom management and student discipline.
6. Pursuing Victory With Honor Sports Program – Schools with active sports programs may avail themselves of the CC! Pursuing Victory With Honor training, a comprehensive program emphasizing use of the sports platform to instill the 12 core values and skills.
7. Classroom and School-wide Activities – CC! provides schools with guidance and technical assistance to integrate impactful Classroom and School-Wide Activities to increase engagement, develop 21st century skills and use experiential learning to infuse the 12 core values and skills. These include School Launch Activities, Recognition Assemblies, and School Improvement Projects.
8. Impact Assessments – At the end of each semester, CC! administers surveys to students, teachers and parents to determine the impact of the program on attitudes and behavior.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – CHARACTER COUNTS! is the most widely implemented approach to student development reaching millions of youth every year since since 1993. It provides a nonpartisan, nonsectarian framework embraced by both secular and faith-based groups, and supported by public officials of both major parties. CHARACTER COUNTS! is the only youth development strategy recognized by Congress every year since 1995 in the form of a designated CHARACTER COUNTS! Week (third week in October) officially endorsed by a Presidential proclamation and U.S. Senate Resolution. »
Properly implemented, CHARACTER COUNTS! becomes infused seamlessly into the DNA of your school or organizational climate. Implementation can occur at your own pace and can vary in complexity based upon your needs and goals!
CC! 6.0 COMPONENTS
MAJOR COMPONENTS OF THE CHARACTER COUNTS! FRAMEWORK
- Internal or external assigned mentor to each school
- Music and DVD resources
- Reflections Today counts
- Activity Books
- Wallet cards
- You Tube videos
- Hallway and classroom posters
- Performance charts
- Stickers and ribbons
- Pens, pencils, pins and key chains
CC! 6.0 IMPLEMENTATION COMPONENTS
MAJOR COMPONENTS OF THE CHARACTER COUNTS! 6.0 FRAMEWORK
3-day certification training based on the Model Standards for Academic, Social, Emotional and Character Development. Includes principal/or vice principal, teachers, counselor, parent representative.
Online survey to determine core values, concerns, priorities and opinions on the current culture of school, level of parent engagement, and student performance.
Online or take-home survey to determine core values, concerns, priorities and opinions on the current culture of school, level of parent engagement, and student performance.
Banners, large posters and street signs displayed on marquee, main entrance, hallways, cafeteria area, auditorium, gym, sports fields, etc.. Post student work and recognitions, quotations, banners, posters, murals and bulletin board displays selected or made by students.
Posters, morning announcements/invocations, quotations, scenarios and other discussion/thought stimulants for public announcement or guided discussion in home-room, advisory or first period.
Essays, videos, posters, songs, skits, etc. designed to teach and reinforce the core principles.
Annual project for each grade level to promote teamwork, initiative, connection to school, culture of respect and self-reliance.
Champions help teachers integrate CHARACTER COUNTS! objectives into teaching lessons.
Sports coaches, faculty advisers and directors of student government, leadership and co-curricular activities integrate principles and values.
Half and full-day PD workshops (e.g., Classroom Management, Building a Culture of Kindness (Bullying prevention), Integrating CHARACTER COUNTS! Objectives into Common Core Goals.
Awards ceremonies, parades, student performances, etc. celebrating National CHARACTER COUNTS! Week (declared by Congress – third week in October).
Year-end surveys of parents, students, teachers and administrators to assess impact and provide the basis for the next year’s strategic plan.