STUDENT ENGAGEMENT EXPERIENCES
Students believe in the importance and value of continuous self-improvement, personal growth and life-long learning and are committed to: 1) increasing their knowledge, understanding and skills through reading and advanced education; and 2) broadening their horizons through travel and other personal experiences.
I will be a better student if I act on the following beliefs:
- As long as I keep learning I will never be bored or boring.
- I will learn interesting and important things by traveling to new places and seeing how other people think and live.
- I can learn about people and places by reading, using the internet and other means of learning even if I can’t travel.
- No matter how old someone is they can always learn and grow by reading,
- Show students how knowledge keeps advancing, that no matter how much scientists and inventors know today, someone will learn new things to make things better. Give examples of things in your own lifetime that have gotten much better (e.g. smart phones, social media,)
- Discuss concept of all forms of personal growth and why it is advantageous and enjoyable to continue to grow.
- Reflect on what you know the most about and learn new things about your area of expertise.
- Create a project on topic that interests you.
- Take one of the quotations and write three sentences as to what it means to you as a student.
- Never let success get to your head and never let failure get to your heart.—Ziad K. Abdelnour
- Don’t ever compare yourself to others. You are not a copy, you are an original.”—Yvonne Wilson
- Most people don’t aim too high and miss. They aim too low and hit.”—Les Brown
- The only thing that overcomes hard luck is hard work.”—Harry Golden
- Always walk through life as if you have something new to learn and you will.”—Vernon Howard