Free teaching tools
Character education lesson plans, curriculum, handouts, and more
If you’ve attended a Character Development Seminar, you know that the best way to develop character is to weave it into the fabric of your curriculum and programs. The free resources and lesson plans on this page can help you do that.
Visit the online store for more materials, including lesson plans and an array of awareness products. All product sales benefit the nonprofit Josephson Institute.
- Free Lesson Plan Bank: Lesson plans for teachers by teachers to help your integration process without compromising standards. Browse lesson plans by category, grade level, or search by keyword. Also included: curricular integration strategies and classroom management tools.
Foundations for Life essay program: This free program offers you age appropriate maxims, classroom assignments, lesson plans, and tips on how to run your own local contest. All our materials enhance the reading, critical thinking and composition skills required by the SAT exam, state and federal standards, and No Child Left Behind proficiency testing.
- Bullying and youth violence: Handounts, worksheets, activity ideas and more. Plus an assessment of what works and examples of how CC! has reduced youth violence and its contributing factors.
- Definitions of the Six Pillars of Character
- A Person of Character Is...
- T.E.A.M. Guide: Teach, Enforce, Advocate, Model
- E.T.H.I.C.S. Guide
- Making Ethical Decisions:
Read the Introduction and the chapter on the Six Pillars of Character in this popular book.
- Tips for Schools and Youth and Sports Groups
- Recognition Cards (versions for both elementary and high school)
- The Character Carousel
- School Bus Character — Created by the LSU AgCenter in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix discussion/study guide.
- "Hamlet" discussion guide and questions, with an emphasis on ethics and character.
- Taking a Stand: A play written and performed by middle school students
- Recommended books aligned with the Six Pillars
- Free downloadable Worldscapes book and activity sheet from our Worldscape series.
- Tips for Parents (also available in Spanish)
- Parenting to Build Character
- What Parents Can Do to Teach Integrity
- Color the World With Character. Created by teachers at Westwood Elementary in Texas.
- PTA the Power of Partnerships Survey and Questionnaire. These tools help parents foster a better relationship with their child's school.
- Family-School Partnership Action Plan. Helps set goals and outcomes for parental involvement activities and tasks.
More parenting resources are available in the online store.
This list includes a variety of resources from diverse groups around the U.S. and abroad.
CHARACTER COUNTS! and Josephson Institute materials are copyright protected. Find out about getting permission to reproduce them.